International Registration Plan (IRP)
Vehicles used to transport items weighing more than 500lbs (for business purposes) must be commercially licensed.
If your vehicle travels only in South Dakota, you need to obtain an in-state commercial license from you county treasurerís office. However, if you use that vehicle outside South Dakota, you must either trip permit or have an IRP license (also referred to as a prorate license). These licenses are issued only by the Office of Prorate and Commercial Licensing, a section of the Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles.
Some vehicles are exempt from commercial licensing under SDCL 32-9-3. Contact the Office of Prorate and Commercial Licensing for further information on commercially exempt vehicles.
Purchasing a prorate license in South Dakota licenses your vehicle in all states and Canadian provinces participating in the International Registration Plan (IRP) in which you choose to travel. The member jurisdictions include:
The cost of a prorate license depends on two factors; the fee schedule in each state in which your vehicles travel and the percent of miles traveled in each state of the total miles that your vehicles travel. Fees, which vary from state to state, are typically based on:
The cost of a license also depends on the percentage of miles traveled in each state by each vehicle. For instance, if 60 percent of the miles a vehicle travels are in South Dakota and the remaining 40 percent in Minnesota, 60 percent of the prorate license cost will be based on South Dakotaís fee schedule and the remaining 40 percent on Minnesotaís fee schedule. South Dakota also collects excise tax on most vehicles where title is being transferred. The tax rate is 3%; however, on a prorate licensed vehicle, the tax is also based on the percentage of miles for South Dakota.
The licensing process for a new applicant is composed of the following steps:
In order to receive a temporary clearance, you must first complete an IRP Application. You will then calculate and submit an advanced deposit. The advanced deposit must be submitted with the application and all other required documents. This temporary clearance allows interstate travel in the same manner as a permanent prorate license but is only valid for a maximum of 45 days or until the end of the current registration year. Once issued, licensing of each unit commences upon the date of issuance of the temporary or until the end of the licensing period. The temporary cannot be voided once issued and licensing cannot be canceled.
What a Prorate License Won't Do
South Dakota Department of Revenue
445 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3185
E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2004 South Dakota Department of Revenue. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement Feedback